Robert Howsley Sr. (1720-1794)
ROBERT HOWSLEY was born 1720 in England and died 23 November 1794 in Maryland. In 1761, Robert Housley, Sr. bought Radford's Chance in Prince George's County, Maryland. In August 1776, he was enumerated on the census for Frederick County, Maryland as a resident of Northwest Hundred. He married Sarah Biggs who was born 1726 in Kent County, Maryland and died 28 October 1822 in Nelson County, Kentucky.
Census of Northwest Hundred (taken by Robt. Beall)
Housle, Robert Sr., 56, Sarah 43, Elizabeth 23, Mary 17, Robert Jr. 15, Jonathan 11, Sarah 9, Prosecolah (Priscilla?) 7, Lucy 5, Sam'l 3, Malmaduke 6 mo., Leviah 4 mo.
Perhaps Robert Howsley descends from the Howsleys of Sheffield, Yorkshire, England where the name Robert Howsley was borne by many generations of the family. It is possible and remains to be proven, that the immigrant Robert Howsley may be identical with Robert, son of John Housley, filesmith, baptised 2 April 1718 at Sheffield. The marriage of John Howsley to Cath' Turner took place on 24 April 1715 at Sheffield. One may continue to speculate that this John Howsley was identical with the John Howsley, son of John Howsley, baptised 7 April 1687 at Sheffield and that the father was the same as Johannes Houseley who married Sara Webster on 14 December 1682.
1. Elizabeth Howsley, born 1753 in Maryland.
2. Mary Howsley, born 1759 in Maryland. Married 18 May 1803 in Nelson Co., KY to George Brewer.
3. Robert Howsley, Jr., born 22 March 1762, died 14 November 1822. He signed petitions as a resident of Nelson Co., KY on 20 October 1787 and 24 October 1789, and was taxed there continuously from 1794. Married c1790 to Catherine McNear, who died after 1822 in Nelson Co.
3-1. Alban Steward Howsley, born 1792. Married to Jane Adams.
3-2. Alexander W. Howsley, born 1795/6.
3-3. William McNear Howsley, born 30 November 1798, Bardstown, Nelson Co., KY; died 7 March 1880 in Central City, Merrick Co., NB. Married (1) Elizabeth Cotton (no issue), (2) 17 February 1831 in Hardin Co., KY to Ann Hardin, born 13 May 1807 in Boyle Co., KY, died 17 August 1899 in Central City.
3-4. Henry Townsend Howsley, born 9 April 1801, died 6 April 1841. Married 8 December 1831 in Nelson Co., KY to Eliza Beeler, born 10 October 1809.
3-5. Stephen Theodore Howsley, born 1803.
3-6. Aleatha Steward Howsley. Married to her cousin, John Housley.
3-7. Nancy Howsley, born 1804. Married 1 April 1820 in Nelson Co., KY to Ben Higdon.
4. Jonathan Howsley, born 1765.
5. Sarah Howsley, born 1767. Married 7 December 1799 in Nelson Co., KY to Edward Spaulding.
6. Priscilla Howsley, born 1769.
7. Lucy Howsley, born 1771.
8. Samuel Howsley, born 1773. Married 16 January 1798 to Mary Crumes.
9. Marmaduke Howsley, born 1775. Living in Ohio Co., KY in 1810 and 1820. Married 19 March 1801 in Nelson Co., KY to Margaret Murphy.
10. Leviah Howsley, born 1776. Married to Mary ______.
Persons interested in exchanging information on this family may contact Mrs. June Howsley Maxwell, P. O. Box 5221, Mohave Valley, AZ 86440-5221. Mrs. Maxwell descends through Robert Howsley, Jr.'s son, William McNear Howsley (1798-1880).